Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Off roading

What an exciting morning!  I had just left the house, had my ipod going to Flight of the Conchords (thanks Caro, for recommending the music.  So funny!) and was thinking that I should have stopped to get gas before getting on the turnpike.  My on ramp has a downhill slope as it's curving around in a cloverleaf.  I was thinking about how incredibly slick things were when my tires started to slide and I was looking right into oncoming traffic, getting off the turnpike.  I panicked because I was thinking about the curb separating me from a head on collision so in addition to slamming on my brakes (anti-lock action immediately!), I turned my wheel hard.  As soon as the tires got their grip, they turned me toward the huge gulley, I hopped the curb and went about 15 feet down.  I was terrified that I was going to flip, but I just coasted down the hill and stopped at the bottom.

Luckily, a tow truck was going by not even 3 minutes later, so while I was on the phone with AAA, the tow truck stopped.  It took forever for the state police to arrive (which the tow truck driver had to have because he needed to shut down the on-ramp to pull me out) so the tow truck driver, let's call him Fred, and I became fast friends.



Fred is a divorcee, and told me about all of the traffic fatalities he's cleaned up after, and about yesterday's gruesome pickup that one of his co-workers had to do.   He was very nice, and managed to calm me down. 

So, I'm $100 poorer, but otherwise my car is fine and I'm fine.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you are doing well and that your car is o.k. Too bad no pictures of Fred though.

    ReplyDelete